ESTELLE SHUGA'S DIARIES

The Truth About Unilag
(The Journey So Far)
Episode 1
Hmmn, Unilag! Unilag! Unilag! The nation's pride and the university of first choice as it is popularly referred to is indeed an institution to reckon with.  I am not going to bore you with all the historical facts. You can check that online; unilag.edu.ng

Back to the matter; my journey so far. First things first. I gained admission to study Actuarial Science ( on merit o!). I know some 'tataafos' here have been spreading false information about me. Anyway, I went past all that registration 'wahala'. My God! It wasn't easy at all. If there is any one here who says that it was easy; I'll have to take that individual for check up; no offence though. All the running about, queuing, signing, payments and hostel allocation; whew! I thank God. By the way I stay in Honours Hostel. No brags, but it's one of the best hostels in Unilag. Just forget about the location and distance from the main campus. I know most boys will agree with me especially those that love to trek.. They can trek for Africa. It's not easy my brothers o! God will strengthen you.


Now let's get serious. Day one of my stay in Unilag. My first lecture was ECN 111( Principles of Microeconomics) at the Staff School. I had woken up by 5am. See my enthusiasm; like as if I was asked to help them open the gate. I bathed, dressed up and had breakfast. Please note, breakfast is very important. I do not miss it. I arranged my books; on top of course that I had no idea about. I left my hostel at exactly 7am. Punctuality is key. As a good student, I had to be there before my lecturer ( see me o!). I got to the Staff School before 7:30am. It was like 'Fast and Furious'. I am pretty sure that  the driver got our 'punctuality' message.

Trust Unilag students; they are always represented. I thought I was too early, but I was wrong. There was a swarm of students all the way from Jaja Complex to the Staff School and even across the Staff School towards Jaja hostel and Sciences. I was blown away by this great multitude. But trust me, composure is key. Next was the whole 'fashion galore'. I saw clothes I had never seen in my life. Thumbs up to my akokites, they can dress to kill. I am very sure that everybody; okay let me rephrase that. Almost everybody had their best clothes on. They all came prepared to 'bust our brain'. Then came the different cliques of students. People were either in two's, three's or a cluster of five and above (except the non- socialites). As usual, I was with my two lovely roommates just observing all this 'paparazzi'. Students were just all over the place with a majority trying to 'famz' others.

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, we finally got the 'gist' that the lecturer was not going to show up. Students were not smiling o! I pitied all those who had worn their best clothes. What a waste! Welcome to Unilag brothers and sisters. Most people moved away in anger while others decided to use that medium to extend their social life. Phone numbers and pins were just flying in the air. The girls were smiling like catfish that they just placed in a new pond.

Since the lecture was no longer holding, I decided to go to my faculty to see what was going on. By the way my faculty is Business Administration and it rocks! We have one of the finest sets of students. From the fashion sense to the academic ability, I must say 'thumbs up' to my faculty. I am not saying this because I am in that faculty o, because I know some bad belle people have started talking. But I must speak the truth always and nothing but the truth.

I finally checked my timetable amidst the sea of big heads I met at the notice board and I went back to my hostel. Don't expect me to tell you that I went for the next lecture because I didn't. I got an info that the lecturer was also not coming. Don't ask me how I got the info; I have my sources. I just 'chilled' at Iya Moria's canteen. Her food is very good by the way. I am a living testimony. You can see me later on that.

Watch out for episode 2!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice write up and very funny

Unknown said...

Nice write up and very funny

Powered by Blogger.