Standing in your solarium (Poem) by Korede


I feel like the firefly in that cartoon who fell in love with a star,
In my estimation that is how far out of my reach you are.
We are not even from the same tribe
And the distance between our backgrounds is wide.
In your presence I stand dumb and unlettered,
Constantly wishing I could do better and be better
Because you cast a shine so strong it blinds
And drives all thought from my mind,
The way the sun does the shadows of night.
I wish I could climb Kilimanjaro and jump to reach your height;
All so you can look at me and see me.
For I am constantly wishing I could be your man,
But in your presence I realize how far from ready I am;
Unprepared to provide the things that will keep you in comfort;
Improperly positioned to husband you and care for you;
Against all your ideals constantly coming up short.
I am like a plant stretching in the garden toward your rays,
Wishing myself strong and tall enough to gaze boldly at your face,
And reach out with these two hands and fold you into an embrace.
In your presence I see all my former loves loose lustre and fade;
Revealed as what they are: reflections poor and pale.
I feel I should have saved every kiss
And kept them all in anticipation of your lips;
And saved every word of softness and sweet caress
For you alone; ignoring all the rest.
In your presence conquests are reduced to stinging regrets
And I am constantly wishing I could go unafraid to your home
And obtain permission to take you as my own.
But how can I?
when you deserve nothing but the best
And I
I am so much less
All I can do is work harder
And stretch farther
And maybe someday I will reflect your light
And shine as brightly in your sight

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.